The Energy Systems/Electrical Engineer is responsible for the verification and validation of electrical power sources. The selected candidate will develop and support innovative ways for evaluating lithium-ion and fuel cell designs to confirm they meet system-level requirements. This individual will be the point of contact for multiple projects and must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in an evolving and dynamic environment. Assignments will be broad in nature, usually requiring originality and ingenuity to complete. This position will be based in the Rochester, New York area (combination of work from home office and on-site at our partner facility in Rochester, New York).
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES / REQUIREMENTS:
• Develops and evaluates requirements for software interface solutions and customizations between systems which may include battery management systems, vehicle controllers, and charger communication.
• Understands electrical system design concepts to support system and component qualification.
• Creates test plans, templates, and strategies for multiple test flows – unit tests, functional tests, and hardware in-/out-of-loop tests – and ensures test results are documented and submitted.
• Responsible for verifying that system and software design implementation meets requirements.
• Supports coordination with internal and external testing to document and validate compliance to requirements and industry standards.
• Designs and develops various components and sub-systems in support of efficient and robust simulated verification test development. Development may include electrical, software, and/or controls tasks.
• Identifies design issues in a cohesive manner and is able to communicate the technical information effectively to support root cause investigations.
• Provides support for new product development teams.
• Works with cross-functional groups at the direction of a lead engineer or program manager. Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills are required. Must be comfortable working in a team environment and be able to present technical material to technically diverse audiences.
•Knowledge of interface development with electric power systems and the control parameters applicable for an industrial application.
• Solid understanding of programming techniques using C, C++, C#, Python, Structured Text or similar languages.
• Knowledge of lithium-ion battery systems, including their control systems and operational characteristics.
• Knowledge of hydrogen fuel cell systems and operational characteristics.
• Proficient user of Matlab/Simulink.
• Experience with basic electrical and mechanical assembly fabrication. A bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or a related field, is required.
• Experience with testing and creating automated methods for testing electrical systems and components Basic understanding of network and communications technology – CAN, TCP/IP, Ethernet, UWB, Bluetooth, etc.